INTERNATIONAL STYLE VS. INDIVIDUALITY
In previous posts, we mentioned how the response to a globalized world is inextricably linked to a search for our own identity and the uniqueness of indigenous varieties. Rescued from oblivion, these varieties underscore the identity and provenance of a wine. By offering an alternative to the international style, they invite us to approach every new bottle with keen senses.
In this regard, Bodegas Torres's project to revive ancestral varieties, which began over thirty years ago, has proven both exciting and gratifying. The enological potential of many of these revived varieties is very interesting. Perhaps even more importantly, they show a natural resistance to the progressive rise in temperature, drought and various diseases, making them part of a current reality that already looks towards the future in terms of climate change.
Best described as the archaeology of wine, it is an effort aimed at recovering a shared heritage. It is about learning from the past, letting go of established ways, and reintroducing varieties used by our ancestors to find, as Miguel Torres Maczasseck says, “that inimitable authenticity that results in uniquely special wines, which cannot be replicated anywhere else.”
FORCADA: MEDITERRANEAN INTENSITY
Let's take a closer look at Forcada, an ancestral white variety:
- It was found in the northwestern part of the DO Penedès, in the foothills of the Roca Forcada Mountain, near Vall de Bianya.
- The variety does very well in the region's clay soils. Grown at 450 meters, away from the sea's influence, Forcada is surprising for its aromatic intensity and freshness characteristic of higher elevations.
- Herbaceous notes bring to mind the Mediterranean forest, whereas echoes of iris and palate-seducing citrus hints are anchored in a backbone of bright, tangy acidity that carries the structure and essence of the variety.
FACTS ABOUT FORCADA 2016:
- Budbreak: early April
- Grape Maturation: early October
- Growth Habit: horizontal
- Surface Area: 2.69 ha
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS WINE IF...
- You enjoy the enveloping coolness of a walk in the Mediterranean woods. Rosemary, thyme, and seductive citrus nuances.
- You love the scent of freshly cut grass in spring.
- You adore fine white wines with great depth and white floral fragrance.
- Your adventurous palate seeks new discoveries.